J. Arch GETTY, Professor of History at UCLA will give three lectures at Ecole Nationale de Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, in Paris :
- Tuesday March 25, 2008 at 3:00 p.m., at the Centre dâ€™ Etudes Slaves, 9 rue Michelet, 75006 Paris (joint-production with CES and CERCEC): Stalinâ€™s Soviet Union: Modern or Neotraditional Leadership?
- March 31st, 2008 at 3:00 p.m., Room 505, 54 Bd Raspail, in Paris, as part of the Seminar of Yves Cohen: The Rise of Bureaucratic Networks in the Soviet Party and Police
- Friday April 11th, 2008, at 4:00 p.m., Room 524, 54 Bd Raspail in Paris, as part of the seminar held by CERCEC: The Soviet Personnel Assignment System : the Exception was the Rule
For more information, contact Yves Cohen, Dean at EHESS, yvecohen free.fr
International Lecture entitled Le Goulag en HÃ©ritage (This Goulag inheritance ) March 19-20, 2007, Maison des Sciences de lâ€™ Homme, Paris
Traveling Exhibit on the Gulag :
- MusÃ©e dâ€™ Ethnographie, Geneva (Switzerland): March 2004 until January 2005;
- Ellis Island , NY (USA): April-July 2006;
- Boston University, Boston (USA) : 10/24/06 until 01/14/07;
- Eastern California Museum and Manzanar National Historic Site (USA) : June-August 2007;
- Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site, Atlanta (USA): Dec 07 â€“ Feb 2008;
- Marist College and Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, Poughkeepsie, NY (USA): March-May 2008;
- Washington D.C. : Summer 2008, dates to be determined
See website : gulaghistory.org/nps/onlineexhibit/
French playwright and producer Judith Depaule directed a play inspired by Jacques Rossiâ€™s work, entitled â€˜Ce que jâ€™ai vu et appris au Goulagâ€™ at ThÃ©Ã¢tre des 13 Vents in Montpellier, on Oct 21st-23rd, 2005; ThÃ©Ã¢tre en DracÃ©nie in Draguignan, from Nov 19-23rd, 2005, and at Passerelle in Gap from Nov 25-30th 2005 and in Paris, Tulle, BrianÃ§on www.mabeloctobre.net
AAJR paid a special tribute to Jacques Rossi at the American University in Paris, on October 8th, 2005, with a talk on â€˜Jacques Rossiâ€™s contribution to the Gulag Literatureâ€™. Speakers: Jean-Louis PannÃ©, StÃ©phane Courtois (excused), Nicolas Werth (absent), Luba Jurgenson Pierre Rigoulot, VÃ©ronique Patte (excused), and Sophie Benech . Event ran by AurÃ©lie Luneau.
AAJR held a debate on the topic â€˜Collecting and passing on the testimonies of the Gulagâ€™ at Salon du Livre de Paris, in March 2005. Speakers: StÃ©phane Courtois, Francine-Dominique Liechtenhan, Jean-Louis PannÃ©, Pierre Rigoulot, Luba Jurgenson, and representatives from Memorial Organization (namely Arseny Roginskiâ€¦)
In March 2005, Jacquesâ€™s two translators and collaborators Sophie Benech and VÃ©ronique Patte took part in a debate held at BNF (the French National Library) in Paris, on Franco-Russia literary ties. The documentary entitled â€˜Lâ€™enfer des Campsâ€™ directed by Ann Worst for Arte in 1997 was broadcast followed by a talk given by VÃ©ronique Patte and Sophie Benech sharing their experience of working with Jacques and the importance of his contribution.
Broadcast of Georges Mourierâ€™s documentary â€˜Tricherâ€™ :
- at SACD in Paris, in Sept. 2002
- Forum des Halles in Feb. 2003 followed by a talk run by the magazine â€˜Histoireâ€™ with historians Nicolas Werth, StÃ©phane Courtois, film director Georges Mourier;
- Polish Institute in Paris, in April 2003
April 2003Â : Muzeum Niepodleglosci, Warsow, Poland. Film presentation of the documentary â€˜Tricher? Oszustwa?â€™ (PolishÂ translation). Introduction by Regina Gorzkowski-Rossi, followed by a panel discussion with Director Andrzej Stawar and Marzena Korczewska,
Oct 2003Â : Pro Arte AssociatesÂ and Biblioteka Narodowa,Warsow, PolandÂ . Film presentation of the documentary â€˜Tricher? Oszustwa?â€™ (PolishÂ translation) followed by a panel discussion with Profs. Andrzej Paszkowski, BarbaraÂ Skarga, Eugeniusz Czaplejewicz, Jan Kancewicz , and Regina Gorzkowski-Rossi.Â
â€œQuâ€™elle Ã©tait belle cette utopie!â€ show directed and produced by actor and playwright Michel Sigalla, ThÃ©Ã¢tre Le Proscenium, Paris, 2000.
 Translatorâ€™s note